CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Savor These Days







Everyone always tells you as a parent, how fast these days go by and before you know it you're kids will be grown up and out of the house. We are to savor these times and enjoy them as much as possible. I'm trying to. Some days are easier than others. Scott has been out of town and the boys are on Spring Break from school right now, so we've had a lot of time together this week. Whether that's good or bad, well, if you were a fly on the wall or a neighbor within earshot you might think it wasn't such a good thing. However, we've had some really fun times and some very frustrating times together this week.
I was very frustrated with the boys yesterday in particular because after we came home from football camp, where they ran around for 3 hours in the hot sun, I set up their new pool/slide the Easter Bunny left for them. They were so excited to play in it and I was happy for them to enjoy it and cool off. I was outside cleaning the inside of my car while they played in the water. Of course boys are never content playing with something the way their supposed to, they must improvise and think of a new way to do it. And the consequence of this was part of their new slide ripped and will probably not last nearly as long as I was hoping it would. Did I need to lay into them like I did and rant and rave about how spoiled they are and how they don't take care of the things they're given? And about how neither of them said thank you for the icecream cones I bought them on the way home? No, I could have spoken to them in a much more rational voice and didn't need to lay into them that much. Do I feel guilty about it? Of course. Don't all mom's beat themselves up with 'mommy guilt' to no end? My dad told it like it was and pretty much said I need to realize that's how boys are and they will always behave like that, so I need to look at the bright side. They were at least using their creative side and not sitting around like a bump on a log. I agree. Dad's right and I know this about my boys. I do love their energy and that even after such a long day at football camp, they still had a fun time together playing outside. Did they mean to rip the slide? No. They're just 'all boy', as they say. And I love that about them. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Today we went to the beach with some friends. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and the boys played for 3 1/2 hours at the beach with Caleb and Austin and some other friends. They dug in the sand, splashed in the waves, played games and thoroughly enjoyed their time there today. It was so fun to watch them be boys and enjoy themselves. I love watching them play and have fun. It makes me so happy.
I layed with them tonight at bedtime and loved how they snuggled up next to me, one on each side. It's such a great feeling laying there with them, knowing they just love being with me. And I love being with them. I do savor these times, the good and bad. And I know it's already going so fast. I thank God for every moment we have together. The good and the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment