The pastor at our church once explained life as two railroad tracks parallel to each other. One track is for the wonderful part of life and the other is for the horrible part of life. Sometimes it seems like the bad track is winning the race and other times, it seems far behind with all the great things happening in our lives. I say this because I'm having a wonderful summer with my boys, watching them grow up right before my eyes each day. They say funny things to make me laugh, like Keegan not understanding how my eyes could be irritated from the cholorine in the water at the waterslides, when irritated had to do with ears - get it....ear-ritated! So cute! I really feel like they're growing up so fast. Scott and I were just commenting tonight how Keegan has jumped from being a little boy to a young boy so quickly. His face is maturing and he's acting so much older. The boys are taking swimming lessons and doing really well at learning to breath to the side. I'm amazed with how fast they're picking it up. Keegan's got the idea after just two lessons. Tanner would love to power through the whole pool without taking one breath, so the instructor is really working on getting him to slow down. It's working and he's doing awesome.
Though our lives are great right now, other's aren't. We have a friend who's family is falling apart, a good friend of my mom's who's been told she has maybe a few months left to live and is all alone, other's who are struggling financially, and other's who can't seem to make good choices in life. It's frustrating and sad. I'm reminded in my bible study today from the Beth Moore study of Esther not to forget God's timing is right on and He still has his hand in every situation, even though it doesn't seem like it at times. I pray for God to be merciful to my mom's friend and bring her home to him quickly and painlessly. I'm also praying for God to guide my friend in making good decisions regarding her family and not be blinded by emotions. Goodness knows how powerful they can be and how we can react in ways we wish we hadn't.
I admire my mom so much for the energy and effort she continuously puts forth to help those in need. Oh, and along with her friend who has a few months to live, she's been sitting with another friend during her 3-hour treatments for breast cancer. Tell me how many people these days would take time out of their busy schedule to do that! She just finished organizing and cooking a luncheon for 30 people at her church and only recently stepped down from cooking weekly at her church's Wednesday night dinners. My mom always invests in people and I know she'll be rewarded for that someday in heaven. Her heart is so huge and unselfish. But really, isn't that what life is all about? Being there for each other and helping each other when the bad train track is racing far ahead, and celebrating with each other when the good train track is in the lead? Life is all about relationships and I'm so thankful for the relationships in my life.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the train track analogy. Great post Kari! We're thankful for your friendship in our lives!
ReplyDelete