Today was Tanner's day to shine. He finally has his very own team, instead of always tagging along with Keegan's team. Today was his first soccer practice with his team the "Blue Bombers". Mind you, that was Tanner's choice for team name and he was so excited when it was chosen.
I have to say, it really seemed like a re-run from last year when Keegan had his first soccer practice with his team. Tanner absolutely dominated the practice when it came time to scrimmage each other. They played 4 on 4 and I think Tanner scored the first 3 or 4 goals. Scott started keeping him back to defend, so other kids would have a chance with the ball. It reminded me of how Keegan started the season last year way ahead of most kids. By mid-season, most kids had caught on to the game, which is probably what will happen with Tanner's team. He's had so much experience with soccer up to this point, along with some awesome coordination. Whereas most other kids haven't touched a soccer ball before tonight's practice or before they bought it at the store 2 nights ago. So, it will be fun to see the progress through the season.
I had to laugh because during one of the water breaks, Tanner came up to me and said, "Mommy he doesn't run fast. His legs don't run. They really don't. He's not fast." It was more the way he was saying it, like he couldn't understand why the kid didn't know how to run fast. I tried to explain to him the kid was trying to control the ball, not worry about running fast (ie..make an excuse for him) but finally I just whispered to Tanner, "that's not something you say to someone, Sweetie. It could hurt their feelings." Then he finally dropped it and went to play again.
It looks like it's going to be a fun team and I haven't seen one flower-picker yet! The season is just starting, so time will tell. Tanner is so excited to have his own team. Keegan is really supportive and encouraging to Tanner. I was so proud of Keegan tonight. He loves being the older brother who knows something about soccer. He feels so important, yet was sweet to tell Tanner what a good job Tanner did playing tonight.
We're so blessed to have some great friends on the team, one of which is our close friends and neighbors, Liz and Ryan who's son, Dylan is on the team. It will be fun to experience the season together with them.
Another fun chapter in our lives has begun. Things will get a little more busy with two in soccer now, but we love it!
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are so excited to enter the world of U5 soccer with you too! You guys are great! And I must admit, Tanner is darn near amazing on that soccer field!!!! :-) Love you all!
ReplyDelete